Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wagon-on!

I'm a bit late to reply here, but that's only because I've been busy setting up that stellar Honey Wagon here at Triple Mountain's shop! Loren has graciously lent it to us, along with his ice harvesting set-up, for an amazing display we'll be building for a museum!

Skyline Farm Museum in Yarmouth, Maine, has a collection of over 150 antique horse-drawn vehicles, (If you love pics of such things, check out our blog post on our visit - It's loaded with awesome pictures!) and they've asked us to put together a model-scale horse-drawn vehicle display at their museum for the winter and spring events program. We've been collecting vehicles in preparation to set up the public display, and of course, we needed some of Loren's! In fact, I'll proudly say that I requested he build a Honey Wagon - I think it will be the star of the show! What kid (or adult) could resist going home and telling everyone they saw a poop wagon?!?

The display is scheduled to debut on Feb 6 during their Sleigh Day event, and you can bet we'll post pictures on our website blog as soon as we can afterward!

Meanwhile, here's a photo of the vehicles on temporary display at Triple Mountain's store. The Honey Wagon has pride-of-place in the center so we can point it out to everyone, and is flanked on both sides by the works of E.C. Russell, whose family museum we posted about on our blog in 2015:

21-honey wagon (2).jpg

These are just some of the vehicles that will be going into the display - more are still coming. If you're in Northern New England and would like to support the hobby and a great non-profit museum dedicated to preserving our agricultural heritage and teaching skills like harness-making and blacksmithing, we'd invite you to mark your calendars and plan to join us on Feb 6! More information will be available through the museum's Facebook page and our site as the date approaches.

~ Eleda

Shipping models worldwide since 2012. www.TripleMountain.com ~ Like us on Facebook for notice of new arrivals!

Paid Participant Original Poster papaone1's Avatar

100_1446.jpg100_1444.jpg100_1447.jpg100_1448.jpgJust in time for the winter snow season here is a matched team of Pacers with a nice 2 seater sleigh. Can't you just feel the brisk breeze on your cheeks as you fly across the freshly fallen powder snow in the meadow? The pacer originated in New England where it was actually illegal to gallop a horse because the elders frowned upon it, so the young swells developed the trotters and pacers so they could still compete in horse races with each other. The pacer breed originated with the Nagaransett horses from New England before there were states. These horses were mentioned in "The Last of the Mohicans" when the author described the noble steeds the Munro sisters rode. This was patterned loosely from an Albany sleigh which were built in Albany New York in the 1800's and many 2 seaters were shipped to Russia and were used by the aristocrats and deemed to be the world's best sleighs.

Sorry, the preceding article should read "Narragansett", my bad.

Love the bright colors on that sleigh, but Ben Breyer looks like he would be a bit cold without a coat, LOL!

Blab Member

I learned something new today Love the sleigh, and the trotters! Thanks for sharing!

This years winner hands down, in the big ugly sweater contest is Alec Breyer100_1450.jpg100_1451.jpg Merry Christmas Everyone.

OK today we are showing off Markus who is a Black Forest draft horse and he is hitched to a brand new Acme cutter. The Black Forest breed originated in Germany and almost died out due to mechanization but thankfully made a comeback in the 1970's. A cutter is a light sled usually drawn by one horse ( or maybe a team if you are into racing) A team would be overpowering this cutter for sure. So grab your significant other, snuggle in under the blanket and away we going singing Jingle Bells all the way. Just imagine a ride on a moonlit meadow with new fallen powder snow, crisp winter air in total silence and there are no new tracks in the snow anywhere to be seen. Happy New Year!100_1452.jpg100_1453.jpg100_1454.jpg100_1455.jpg

I just adore Alec's new sweater. It was very thoughtful for you to give it to him for Christmas!

Markus is handsome and looks like a very conscientious driving horse. I bet we'll start seeing him in harness at shows quite a bit! You do great work with metal runners, by the way!

Shipping models worldwide since 2012. www.TripleMountain.com ~ Like us on Facebook for notice of new arrivals!

Thanks Eleda, you are a gentle wo-man and a scholar. And there aren't too many of us scholars left anymore.

Hey do you remember all those logs we hauled out earlier? Well the mill called an the lumber is cut and ready to haul, so we have to get it out of the way for the mill to keep sawing. This is the first load and we'll be hauling all next week, so put on your mittens and long johns and come over and help. The team is Jack & Jerry and they are half brothers and the same age and a willing pair for the long hauler. Are you ready to start on your addition or will I have to unload this in the shed? Let me know.100_1470.jpg100_1471.jpg100_1472.jpg

Today's offering is a real honest to gosh chuck wagon. Up front we have a pretty pair of dapple grey Quarter horses who are used to any kind of hitch you can throw on them, from pack saddles to parade work. The chili is cooking by the campfire, would you stir the beans please? These were found wherever food was needed outdoors away fro civilization, from cattle drives to logging camps, and of course in Hollywood movies. 100_1480.jpg100_1467.jpg100_1464.jpg If you get there before I do you could split some more firewood, haul some water from the spring, and put the coffee pot on. Thanks.

I love seeing your latest creations.

ThankYou

These all just make me so happy--such lovely details and history!

I know a new Breyer Shire and a couple of Schleich Percherons are heading Loren's way... Can't wait to see what jobs he cooks up for them!

There will be more photos (on a separate thread) after the exhibit is fully set up, but thought you all might like to see that his Albany Cutter sleigh with the two pacers up is going to be part of the Skyline Museum exhibit!

IMG_6681.jpg

Thank You Eleda, Thanks to the Blab for a whole first year.

Well talking about a new Shire here is Shannonndell who is a Shire draft stallion, and he comes to us today in dress parade harness with a Scotch collar made by Tikli Kulp and harnessed to a dog cart. I don't know why it is called a dog cart because he is all horse, but that is what it's called so enjoy. 100_1486.jpg100_1487.jpg100_1484.jpg100_1489.jpg

I haven't seen this forum for a while, and the new wagons are nice! I especially like the chuck wagon. Thanks for sharing.

You are most welcome, thanks for looking.

OK Here is an example of something from nothing. This little cutter was fashioned from cracked wooden salad bowl, a little bit of DIY magic, some sanding and a nice Shire up front to power it. Those of you who follow my escapades probably already know all my vehicles come from scrap wood after construction projects, so I figured why not? I think it would be very enjoyable to cuddle under that blanket with some one special and go for a ride in the meadows100_1496.jpg100_1497.jpg100_1498.jpg

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast