Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the UK Happenings Forum!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    under the oaks Original Poster Mary's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to the UK Happenings Forum!

Blab has lots of UK members and we love you all.

Of course all hobbyists are one community and post wherever they like on Blab. This new forum is a kind of a test to see if our UK members would like a section devoted to the things that are more local to them.

That can include UK events ... I'm sure there are other web forums and locations where this info is exchanged, but hopefully you can now get it on Blab as well.

And fascinations with things that are most popular in the UK. The Julip series comes to mind, and more!

And ... the way things are done in the UK that aren't always shared outside the UK. As I understand it, performance set-ups have different expectations, and it's nice to be able to discuss them with locals, according to 'local rules'.

Maybe non-model-horse topics as well?

Anything else you can think of! It's your forum!

If this forum takes off it will stay ... if in a few months it really hasn't been used much, that's ok, it can sort of distribute back into the rest of Blab. Either way, this is your forum!

Paid Participant Whitestones_uk's Avatar
    Down in a Dark corner of Dorset - England

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    And fascinations with things that are most popular in the UK. The Julip series comes to mind, and more!

And ... the way things are done in the UK that aren't always shared outside the UK. As I understand it, performance set-ups have different expectations, and it's nice to be able to discuss them with locals, according to 'local rules'.

Maybe non-model-horse topics as well?
    WAHOO ... Thank you

Regards Performance set ups - we have to have riders/drivers/handlers over here ... apart for that they are pretty much the same

We also have a section at most shows called CTF (Craft, Toy & Foundation) this is for the more 'toy' type of models that you can get like Julip, Papo, Schleich and Safari type models as well as Handmade models

This is fabulous!!

Quote Originally Posted by equestrifun View Post
    This is fabulous!!
    It sure is ...

What shall we talk about?

Anyone got any Questions ....

Blog Entries

Here's a couple of ideas ... if not of interest no worries, but just a try ...

Where do UK peeps gather to meet each other and show off their models? At live shows of course, but other places as well. Is everyone connected with the info on those gatherings?

How often are live shows in the UK - and how large are they in terms of classes, how much of your collection do you get to show? Performance always or just sometimes?

If you show, are you able to get to as many live shows as you'd like, and is driving an issue?

I have to say that, being from Texas (larger than most European nations, France could fit inside without touching the sides, distances can be many driving hours), when I used to to work stints in London and learned that Edinburgh is only 3 hours for London, as far as I was concerned the whole country was in the backyard. Could go anywhere on a day trip (not that I had time but thought it was great).

Here's a couple of ideas ... if not of interest no worries, but just a try ...

Where do UK peeps gather to meet each other and show off their models? At live shows of course, but other places as well. Is everyone connected with the info on those gatherings?

How often are live shows in the UK - and how large are they in terms of classes, how much of your collection do you get to show? Performance always or just sometimes?

If you show, are you able to get to as many live shows as you'd like, and is driving an issue?

I have to say that, being from Texas (larger than most European nations, France could fit inside without touching the sides, distances can be many driving hours), when I used to to work stints in London and learned that Edinburgh is only 3 hours for London, as far as I was concerned the whole country was in the backyard. Could go anywhere on a day trip (not that I had time but thought it was great).
    Where do we gather? ANYWHERE ....
    There are many village hall/community centre shows but there are also quite a few house shows too. Many people live quite close to each other so we do sometimes get to go round to other collectors houses just for natter and a drool .... I had a couple of collectors pop around to mine in the past few weeks to drool at the herd
    The main point of contact is the British Model Horse Collectors FB page where all the events in the year are listed in the files section. This list is also on the BECF website (see links in my signature). This year is a record year with well over 50 live shows, and the number keeps growing. The FB group has 1250 members, and yes we have some members from outside the UK, so come on over and join in the fun

How often are live shows in the UK?
    At the moment there is at least one nearly every weekend, some weekends folks are doing one show on the Saturday and another on the Sunday! Some weekends there are a couple of shows on at the same time. Show holders try not to 'double book' a show on a weekend where there another planned but the weekends fill up fast. In that case showholders try and keep it so there is one in the south and one in the north so as many people as possible can make it. Shows have an average of around 20 entrants per show ( depending on venue size ) and the shows tend to have around 80-120+ classes.
    Class sizes vary .... it could be just a couple of models to 30+ .... OF and CTF classes tend to be the most popular.

How much of your collection do you get to show? Performance always or just sometimes?
    When I go to a show I tend to concentrate on the Performance section as that's my 'thing' and I try and take as many Performance models as possible. Shows tend to limit it to 2 or 3 models per person per class. Most of my Performance models are 'one class' entrants, that is they are tacked up for one class and that's it. It's very rare to find one model being used in multiple Performance classes over here. Maybe a English Ridden will then go in Jumping or a Western Pleasure will then be used in Trail but most models tend to be set up just for one class. We don't use a 'points system', Class winners then go through to the section championship.

After burning myself out in the Performance classes I then tend to show only a few models in the rest of the show cause I'm normally to knackered to do much else lol
    But I try and take an average or around 30 or 40 models per show ( including Perf entries).

No - never enough lol. I don't drive so I rely on my OH to take me and as we both work Saturdays I'm restricted to Sunday shows only, and then they need to be about 2 to 2/12 hours drive away maximum as otherwise it's too much for us. Petrol is about 1.17 per litre at the moment which is quite low ... it does go up to nearly 1.30 at times so it can be expensive for a long trip. Personally we don't tend to do 'over night' trips as the budget/time won't allow
    Yes it's true that we are not large country and you can do almost top to bottom in one day but that would mainly be via motorway driving. Many of us live 'off the beaten track' where it is smaller and much slower roads and a 20 mile journey could take over an hour at times! For me it take nearly an hour just to get to a motorway! Then there are the road works to deal with!

This is fun

Next questions ...
    Last edited by Whitestones_uk; 05-24-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyUK View Post
    Great Idea Mary

Blog Entries

Oh and another point of discussion ... the name of the forum. "UK Happenings" was just a spur-of-the-moment thought. If you have other suggestions, there may be a better choice out there.

Oh and another point of discussion ... the name of the forum. "UK Happenings" was just a spur-of-the-moment thought. If you have other suggestions, there may be a better choice out there.
    'Best of British', 'British Blab-ish', BritBlab, British Collectors Corner or British Blab Corner (BBC ... lol)

The term UK is not really used over here much ... we tend to use British/Britons and Britain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by estypest View Post
    What a fantastic idea ^_^

I totally get your comment Mary about the size of UK versus Texas.. but via what mode of transport was Edinburgh only 3 hours aha.. it takes me 7 hours by train to get there from Norfolk aha. I agree that the roads can be bad... from Norfolk it takes ages to even get to a motorway.. so for instance just getting to an event in Yorkshire took me 4+hours. And to go to my closest live show will take me between 1.5 -2 hours if I drive fast aha. BUT I know I'm being picky here.. I've been to the USA a few times and looked at the map and thought WOW at the size (but I feel you have much better roads!!). ANYWAY!

To reiterate.. great idea ^_^
    I dunno what mode of transport, good point. Me 'n another Texas were in London looking at a road map - this was a long time ago - and I think we may have calculated "120 miles" and being Texans were like "Get in the car, let's go!"

London colleagues: "Why?"

Us Texans: "To see it!"

London colleagues: "Why?"

It was definitely a different mindset. We were of the several generation of American midwesterners raised to "go see" things, just to have seen and experienced them. It was so far to everything, it was the only way to see something different than the local, so let's go.

I'm sure we were thinking in terms of American interstate highway system. Where it is long, flat and almost straight, and you can almost put a foot on the dashboard, crank up the radio, eat chips and drive one-handed for hundreds of miles. Just kidding. Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitestones_uk View Post
    Yes it's true that we are not large country and you can do almost top to bottom in one day but that would mainly be via motorway driving. Many of us live 'off the beaten track' where it is smaller and much slower roads and a 20 mile journey could take over an hour at times! For me it take nearly an hour just to get to a motorway! Then there are the road works to deal with!

This is fun

Next questions ...
    Re the roadways: Aha! That makes sense.

I think that is similar in the U.S. just about anywhere, once one is on local roads and off the interstate. But population-wise things tend to be near the interstate highway (roughly equivalent to the M1).

With only 20 entrants per show, could you fill several shows on the same weekend? The list of 1250 is quite a few, even if you figure most are not actively showing.

What a fantastic idea ^_^

I totally get your comment Mary about the size of UK versus Texas.. but via what mode of transport was Edinburgh only 3 hours aha.. it takes me 7 hours by train to get there from Norfolk aha. I agree that the roads can be bad... from Norfolk it takes ages to even get to a motorway.. so for instance just getting to an event in Yorkshire took me 4+hours. And to go to my closest live show will take me between 1.5 -2 hours if I drive fast aha. BUT I know I'm being picky here.. I've been to the USA a few times and looked at the map and thought WOW at the size (but I feel you have much better roads!!). ANYWAY!

To reiterate.. great idea ^_^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitestones_uk View Post
    'Best of British', 'British Blab-ish', BritBlab, British Collectors Corner or British Blab Corner (BBC ... lol)

The term UK is not really used over here much ... we tend to use British/Britons and Britain
    Thank you!

OK everyone, post your forum name ideas and we'll organize a poll, thank you!

What a cool idea!

The last time I went to a model horse show as nearly 12 years ago, when I was 13/14 and relying on my good ol' dad to take me to a village hall to look at some plastic ponies that he was fairly sure I'd grow out of (I already had a real one, why would I need plastic ones too?). I've had to take a step back from the real horse this year as I'm expecting my first baby in August, so I've kind of thrown myself into the model world to compensate! I've got my first show in ages in July which is only about 20 mins away from me (I am not a confident driver, so my dad giving me lifts has been replaced by Husband!), Most shows seem to be about 2/3 hours away.
    I'm working on my first custom model.... also being a bit of a drastic one with legs being moved and new mane/tail added... and I would love to try my hand at performance at some point. But it does mean purchasing tack and riders which can get expensive.

I manage to get to one or maybe two shows a year. This is because there are very few shows within 2 hours of us. We also don't own a car so we have to hire one for the weekend which is 90 usually.

I'd love to run a show so there are more in Wales
    I like UK happenings, not everyone likes to be called British

Blog Entries

So far

• Best of British
    • British Blab-ish
    • BritBlab
    • British Collectors Corner
    • British Blab Corner (BBC ... lol)
    • UK Happenings

Anything else to add to a poll for a name for this forum?

Paid Participant ElreniaGreenleaf's Avatar

I think the aforementioned amount of live shows in the U.K. is rather misleading as it tends to only be England (more specifically the south!) that actually gets that many. I know of a handful of other keen collectors in Scotland, but if we want to go to a live we'd have to travel very far south, which while I know the distance isn't much to you lot on the other side of the pond, but when you don't drive, train fares are absolutely extortionate and it's a pretty big undertaking. There's barely anything north of Manchester usually.
    Christine Sutcliffe (just call me EG. :p)
    The Blog!
    Including tutorials, photography and lots of interesting things.

I will go to 1 show in Bristol this year when a friend comes over from Germany. Other than that I find it extremely difficult to get to live shows. I have no car and most live shows are far away from any railway station and even bus stops. i had to walk on the street without a pedestrian walk from a bus stop once . And i still have no idea how to go about car sharing . I went to quite a few Live shows in Germany where I had a car and I almost always took other peope with me . Made it possible to go to live shows further away since we would share the costs. Now I don't habve a car and I don't want one, don't really want to drive (really can't wait for self driving cars) so i can't even get to live shows. Another thing is you really have to be there the minute a show holder announces the show, otherwise you're too late. and then I feel bad for taking a place because I'm not that competitive, I only do that to see other people's models and to get out of my cave, met people but I could not care less about live show placings. I might be happy about a placing the moment I get it but later the ribbons are just laying around.
    I sometimes miss Germany , meeting with other sollector's to go on foto tours. But going out, making scenery fotos, telling stories about our model horse ranches seams to be a mainly german thing. as you can see in the lack of a photo forum on Blab.
    missing the Photos-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    But going out, making scenery fotos, telling stories about our model horse ranches seams to be a mainly german thing. as you can see in the lack of a photo forum on Blab.
    I miss seeing your photo stories. They were always so well done and creative! You should start a thread with them again in The Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Man O War View Post
    I miss seeing your photo stories. They were always so well done and creative! You should start a thread with them again in The Arena.
    Currently I'm not doing many stories, lack of time and that someone played soccer with my model doesn't help motivating me . I do have a thread in the Arena , started to translate my ranch story but it got buried . Doesn't seam to be much interest here and others don't make this kind of photos for me to enjoy looking at. Blab is great for information but not so much for photos. there are a few nice pictures but they are kind of rare...
    missing the Photos-forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast