Thread: What's your policy on shipping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blab Member Original Poster

Default What's your policy on shipping?

Hi all

I'm in the middle of what's feeling like a very sluggish transaction, and wanted all your opinions on something: what's your policy on shipping?

As a buyer, what is a reasonable amount of time, in your mind, for the seller to ship once you've paid?
    Barring extenuating circumstances (time payments, a commission, a pre-order for a resin, etcetc), how long will you wait before you back out of a transaction and request a refund?

As a seller, do you have a policy that you hold yourself to?
    If something happens (a family emergency, health issue, etcetc) that causes a warranted delay, how do you handle it?

Just looking for everyone's thoughts

I'm not sure as I've had several promise to ship but never did (no parties traded and no harm done)... but a couple years ago I purchased two bodies from a seller. They failed to ship for almost 2 months until my pestering on mhsp and emails got through. Should I have acted sooner? Probably, seeing as the deadline for PP would've been way overdue (it was a M.O. though...)
    Ive had to delay shipping myself due to school or sudden bills but I make sure to tell the buyer "hey, I want you to know it will be X number of days... etc..."
    Im sure others have a better insight than me.

"Tem-Tem" & "Abbie-kins" Brenda's Avatar

Personally, if you aren't in a position to ship within a couple of days and you KNOW that before you put the item up for sale, you shouldn't put it up. 2 months is an obnoxious time to have to wait, especially if you had to keep bugging them and they gave no reasonable explanation as to the delay. I get it. Stuff happens that is beyond "your" control that prevents "you" from shipping immediately...IF it happened AFTER the sale...sellers should just be open about it. Let the buyer know. Nobody is so busy 24/7 that they can't take 2 minutes to send a quick email from a cell phone or computer. I had to pay within a certain amount of time, the seller should have to ship within a certain amount of time, too. And if the seller knows there's going to be a delay then they should put that in their auction or description so the potential buyer has the chance to know in advance and make their own decision about whether or not to bid/buy.
    ~~~~~ >^.^< >^.^< ~~~~~

Sharkhole Stallion approved! SylvanTrails's Avatar

I usually try to ship out within a day or two of receiving payment...typically within 24 hours. But, then, again, this is what I "do", ship things.

I try to give sellers shipping to me a bit of leeway, but if I haven't heard from them in a week, I definitely start to get antsy and contact them to see what's up.

If "life" comes up...well, it usually comes up when sales are either slow or nothing's listed, so I just don't list stuff until things settle back down. But, for example, we went out of town a few months ago. Someone contacted me right before we left about the possibility of a trade. I was up front at the beginning of the trade and told them I was going out of town and wouldn't be able to finalize things until I got back...then SHE went out of town, but, again, told me about it. Everyone got back where they belonged and we got the trade finalized and all was good.

If I was in the middle of a transaction and life went crazy, I'd let the person know as soon as I could and ship as soon as I could. Even if I had to ask someone else to do it for me. For example, had a couple of things up on eBay...they had been up for MONTHS and, no sale. I assumed that would continue to be the case while we were out of town on above trip. Of course, something sold. So, I gave our cat sitter specific instructions on where the sales piece was and how to ship it and he got it shipped in a reasonable amount of time.
    Shannon Tostanoski My horses for sale!

I always try to ship things within 1-2 days of receiving payment, and I tell buyers when they can expect their item to ship. If something were to happen that would prevent me from shipping within a week or so, I would let the buyer know and give them the option of either waiting a bit longer or receiving a full refund. I agree with the previous posters that if you [general "you", not anyone in particular] know that you won't be able to ship something in a timely manner, you shouldn't be putting up ads for it.

As a buyer, if a week has passed and I haven't heard from the seller, I send them an email. I don't mind waiting a while as long as there is good communication. I once waited over a month for some items to ship, but the seller was in contact with me regularly during that time and explained what was causing the delay. If the seller fails to communicate/respond to emails within a reasonable amount of time, then I'll open a dispute. Thankfully it has never gotten to that point.
    Last edited by PineRidgeStables; 08-15-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    For sale: matte Copperfox Rupert and lots of Breyers! Click here to see my ads on MH$P.

Within a day unless it's a weekend?
    In the crazy house surrounded by thousands of eyes..

Sharkhole Stallion approved! SylvanTrails's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juliacodeman View Post
    Within a day unless it's a weekend?
    , actually. Strangely enough, I'm better about shipping Monday through Friday than I am shipping on Saturday. Even if I get payment Friday morning (and can't get it out Friday afternoon for some reason), I have trouble getting it ready to go out in Saturday's mail.
    Shannon Tostanoski My horses for sale!

Blab Member Original Poster

So, to elaborate a little more on the situation at hand, I purchased a very inexpensive stablemate (<$10) on mh$p at the beginning of the month.
    -I inquired on Tuesday the first, received a response later that day, and paid less than 24 hours later on Wednesday the second.
    -The seller didn't acknowledge that she had received payment so, on Saturday the fifth I sent her an e-mail, just checking in that she had received it with no issue. Seller replied the same day saying that she had indeed received it, and would be shipping either that day, or the following day which was Sunday, so I should have it on Wednesday at the latest. I reply to that e-mail wishing her well and don't hear back.
    -I still haven't received a tracking number by Tuesday evening (the seventh), so I sent her another e-mail asking if she sent the model and whether or not I should be expecting it the following day. She said that she had not sent it yet, but that it would only be a day or two more.

It is now the fifteenth with no word or tracking number.
    Seller cites medical issues, which I totally and completely understand. My issue here is that I have had to reach out every step of the way; to verify my payment arrived, to if she's shipped when she said she would, etcetc. I feel as though it's the seller's job to alert me of any hold ups, not my job to keep bugging her each time the supposed mail day rolls around and there's nothing in my mail box.
    If I don't receive my horse by the end of the month, I'm considering backing out of the deal and requesting a refund, but am afraid of getting yellow or red lighted.

Thoughts?

I usually ship within a day. And if I know I'm not able to do that I will let the buyer know whats up. Sadly I had a horse that was just sold on time pays. The final payment came when I broke my toe a week ago. So it took a couple days before I could get my Mom to trek it to the PO. And now after checking the PO site THEY are taking their jolly sweet time delivering it.
    ~~ Mindy Young ~~

Yeah... it depends for me when I ship. My work schedule has been irregular this summer and my Saturdays taken so that messed things up. Many times I try to combine multiple purchases into one trip (I live out of town and gas is $$$ but that whole 'pickup at your house' thing confuses me.) Due to that I may delay a day but no more unless I specifically tell the seller before they buy "hey I only can ship Friday or Monday due to work".

I hope the situation turns out alright.

In a 3-bedroom duplex with a china cabinet in place of a TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang07 View Post
    Yeah... it depends for me when I ship. My work schedule has been irregular this summer and my Saturdays taken so that messed things up. Many times I try to combine multiple purchases into one trip (I live out of town and gas is $$$ but that whole 'pickup at your house' thing confuses me.) Due to that I may delay a day but no more unless I specifically tell the seller before they buy "hey I only can ship Friday or Monday due to work".

I hope the situation turns out alright.
    I can't afford to drive to the PO to ship one item at a time and still be profitable. My handling time on eBay is 3 days and I adhere to that. That means depending on when things sell, I only have to do 1-2 town trips per week, which works out to combine it with grocery shopping or other errands. My boyfriend ships a lot of stuff during the week too, so sometimes I'll have him take something to the PO if he's got a town trip planned and I don't, so stuff gets out on time. I'm always upfront with buyers if there will be a delay, and I've never had anyone complain. For what it's worth, I don't mind either if sellers don't do next-day shipping, or even if there are delays, as long as communication happens. I can wait a few extra days for my stuff, no problem, as long as I know so I'm not wondering what the heck happened to it.
    Meghan Namaste
    Author of Equestrian Fiction ~ http://viewAuthor.at/meghannamaste
    Painter and Restoration Artist ~ http://www.facebook.com/rogueriverstudios
    http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1213468
    Custom Totilas/Huck/Salinero Bases ~ http://modelhorsesalespages.com/view.asp?id=1211531

Shipping time depends first and foremost one what is being sold.

It is reasonable to expect faster service for items that are made, while custom work can take quite a while. I've had orders that took well over a year, due to one thing or another. I hate taking that long, so now I keep the custom order queue very short. Even so, delivery is not super fast on more involved custom work. I have a family, have been the stay-at-home-mom until this summer, and have two sets of aging parents, not to mention other outside obligations. So, anyone that hires me for custom work is told up front that I don't do Rush orders anymore and that there may be family issues that cause delays. I give an estimate. If I miss the estimate, then I get really faithful about emailing updates. If I'm still in the estimate, it is a better use of my time to go work on the item than to be sitting down at the computer where something else will likely come up to distract me after that one email.

Long shipping times can be acceptable, but they should be stated clearly upfront so that people on a deadline or that are simply impatient can shop somewhere else.
    Melody D. Snow -- The Unicorn Woman -- Established 1980
    http://www.unicornwoman.com
    Miniature Tackmaker, Leathercraft Artist, & Freelance Writer
    Author of Unicorn Woman Tack Kits & Tack Instructional Materials
    Also Tack Supplies & Kangaroo Leather
    Sign-up for Newslist at http://eepurl.com/vxH9P
    On Facebook: The Unicorn Woman

Winter is Coming! Beethovens7th's Avatar

Since i'm a housewife, i usually ship the same day i'm paid for my item most times. At most, next day or two depending circumstance. At the same time i expect my item to be shipped within a week at least! Like Brenda said, sellers like to be paid within a certain time, so they should ship in just as reasonably amount of time!

I require that people pay within 48 hours of MH$P inquiry or eBay auction ending, or the model goes back for sale. I only ship USPS Priority 2-Day. If people don't like it, then they don't need to buy from me. It drives me nuts when people argue with me about shipping. I have a policy and I stick to it. I have my reasons for why I only ship USPS Priority. I used to ship Internationally, but then I got sick of people arguing with me about the cost of the shipping. I can't control shipping costs to other countries - it is what it is!

I ship within 24 hours unless its like a Saturday or Sunday (thats only because the post office here closes at 2 pm on Saturday's and is closed on Sunday's). I always notify the buyer as to when I will ship it. Then I send another email letting them know the tracking info and their expected delivery date.

I realize that life happens, accidents happen, stuff happens, etc. But it is up to the seller to keep the buyer informed of what is going on. I also know that people make stuff up to get out of a responsibility. I would give it one more chance and say if my model doesn't get shipped by such and such date, I will contact PayPal for a refund. They have had your money for PLENTY of time and should be respectful of your time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseshoeFarms View Post
    I have my reasons for why I only ship USPS Priority. I used to ship Internationally, but then I got sick of people arguing with me about the cost of the shipping. I can't control shipping costs to other countries - it is what it is!
    Yeah, the whole shipping argument thing gets seriously old. And, the demands to ship a cheaper, insecure way and assume all the risks of said shipping if something goes wrong are really irritating. I like the eBay Global Shipping Program as the costs are the costs and if someone doesn't like it they can move along to another auction, instead of emailing me and crabbing me out.
    Melody D. Snow -- The Unicorn Woman -- Established 1980
    http://www.unicornwoman.com
    Miniature Tackmaker, Leathercraft Artist, & Freelance Writer
    Author of Unicorn Woman Tack Kits & Tack Instructional Materials
    Also Tack Supplies & Kangaroo Leather
    Sign-up for Newslist at http://eepurl.com/vxH9P
    On Facebook: The Unicorn Woman

My work schedule literally varies from week to week & as a seller I state in my ads that I normally ship w/in 7 days of receipt of payment (usually sooner) but I allow myself some squeak room just in case.

The one thing I always try to do is keep a very open channel of communication w/a buyer. If something happens, I will contact them and let them know and give my best estimate as to how soon their item will ship.

As a buyer, unless I know beforehand that what I'm purchasing is a pre-order model, custom model/resin or tack item; the seven day turnaround rule is what I expect. Lack of communication from a seller is my #1 pet peeve. I fully understand real life is messy and things happen but as long as a seller drops me an email/IM telling me there's a delay and a reasonable expectation of when the item will ship, I'm willing to be patient. (now multiple delays/excuses are a WHOLE different matter....)

Sellers that take my money and drop into radio silence? Very irritating !