Hello all!
I recently did a two part payment plan on a Scallywag with a Michelle Plamondon-Bussiere. Michelle lives in Canada and I live in the US Great Lakes area. I paid off the horse early July and told Michelle to hold shipping until I got home from a vacation. She agreed and we timed it to arrive the week I was home. The estimated time of arrival was July 27th, and the last update on the tracking I was provided was stating it was in San Francisco on the 22nd. Obviously we are now a week into August and no horse. I am starting to panic. Additionally in order to contact I need the senders address which I do not have, I asked Michelle to investigate which she stated she would but is now being slow to email me back. What should I do? Is this normal for a time frame across country lines? Has anyone done business with her before? Thanks!