Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psa: Never use facebook payments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Paid Participant Original Poster LeeAnn's Avatar

Default Psa: Never use facebook payments

NEVER USE FACEBOOK PAY

I'll tell you why.

I bought a Cricut Maker machine from Brandon Reynolds through Facebook marketplace on January 14th. He said he could send me a PayPal invoice through Facebook Pay, which was easier for him than to send through PayPal. I researched before doing this to make sure I would be covered and I read on Facebook's help page that payments through the marketplace would be covered. So I agreed, and paid him the $175 from my PayPal balance. I was NOT given the option to choose friends/family or goods/services. I sent the payment, and much to my dismay, it sent friends/family. Well, the seller was very kind and answered all of my questions, and the ad was very descriptive and included a photo of the items he had for sale. He even marked the ad sold after I purchased. He asked for my address, and sent me the tracking number purchased from pirateship.com. It would be shipped the next day - great! He said it was Priority and I'll have it in 2-3 days. Well, the end of the next day, January 15th, the tracking still just showed "shipping label created." It had not yet been scanned as accepted. I confirmed with him that he had been able to ship. I know there are still huge delays with USPS right now, and sometimes packages are taking quite awhile to be scanned in at the origin facility. He claimed that yes, the package had been shipped. Alright no problem, I'll be patient. Today, January 18th, the tracking still has not changed. I go to Messenger and his account is GONE. It shows "Facebook User" instead of Brandon Reynolds, and I cannot reply to the conversation anymore. I do not have his email either since I paid through Facebook Pay. Facebook refuses to do anything because it was sent as a "Facebook Payment" and not a "Messenger Payment," so they won't cover it. I am going to call PayPal tomorrow, but standard policy is since this was a "friends and family" payment, they will also not do anything for me. I paid using my balance and not on a credit card. And I hate this part - I was going to put it on my card so I had extra protection, but it charged me an additional fee to use my card vs my balance. I had enough on the balance so I didn't want to pay extra money to put it on my card. Now I'm wishing I paid those few extra dollars, otherwise I could file a chargeback with my credit card company! I consider myself to be very tech savvy and not easily tricked. I NEVER in a million years would have guess *I* could become the victim of a scam. And here I am. So I wanted to put it out there to NEVER USE FACEBOOK PAY. You have ZERO protection if something goes wrong! I wish I would have known that before I threw away $175. Do not make the same mistake I did!

Oh LeeAnn I am so sorry to hear this. I know nothing about buying through FB and now because of this I doubt I ever will. Thank you for posting this. But that just so upsetting. Just a pure scam.

Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life-
    Confucious
    Victoria Krentz

Blab Member
    Blog Entries

This is horrible. I'm so sorry. Thank you for letting us know.

Paid Participant Equus of Antiquity's Avatar

So sorry this happened to you, LeeAnn. I’m not active on FB, but thank you for putting the warning out about Facebook Pay to help others.
    Official patron of the Mesteno series

New for 2021: A model horse blog! https://modelhorsegrotto.blogspot.com/

Living the life with my cats! Brenda's Avatar

That sucks, LeeAnn. I won’t buy off Facebook because I’ve heard of too many scams.
    ~~~~~ >^.^< >^.^< ~~~~~

hobby blog: http://azmodelhorsemania.blogspot.com

Paid Participant onekindacowboy's Avatar
    A place where people have standards, honestly!

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I have had multiple packages miss getting scanned in at the post office this past few months. Also there have been a ton of people getting put in FB jail lately as the algorithms seem to be messed up.

I do think you should still follow up with PayPal because he still obviously could be a scammer. Have you searched his name?

Quote Originally Posted by onekindacowboy View Post
    I wouldn't give up hope yet. I have had multiple packages miss getting scanned in at the post office this past few months. Also there have been a ton of people getting put in FB jail lately as the algorithms seem to be messed up.

I do think you should still follow up with PayPal because he still obviously could be a scammer. Have you searched his name?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. The tracking is on my USPS Informed Delivery and it's actually a First Class label. This machine is way too big and heavy to go First Class. And then you have the account disappearing so that's another red flag. I tried looking up his name but couldn't find much- the ad said he would cover shipping because he only posted the ad in states surrounding Maryland. But the machine shipped from Dover Delaware. So I'm not sure exactly what state he even lives in? All I found was a Brandon Reynolds in Maryland that burned his neighbor's house down so that's great.....

In my experience, if someone is in FB jail their account still looks the same to me, they just can't access it. Is it possible for someone to be in FB jail but their account disappears and just says "Facebook User?"

However! He said he flips properties and he purchased a building that used to be a craft store. These machines were left inside. This checks out- there actually was an ACMoore in Dover! He said something about selling a bunch on eBay l, but I haven't been able to find anyone in Maryland or Delaware selling multiple Cricut machines recently. I found one seller in Virginia. So it's really hard to pinpoint who he is and where he is, and I don't even know for sure Brandon Reynolds is his real name.

But the warnings against FB pay are good to know.

Sorry LeeAnn. Thanks for warning everyone.

The greys are taking over... texxdog's Avatar

s I am so sorry this happened to you.

Thanks for the info, LeeAnn. I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

Did you check the tracking number again today? I find it odd that the guy sent you what appears to be a valid tracking number (it says 'shipping label created'), and then he just disappeared. Keep checking that tracking number... there could still be a small possibility that he is shipping your item.

While I do have a FB account, I stick only to the actual FB Groups for buying and selling, and just for model horses. I have never shopped on FB Marketplace, nor have I ever listed anything for sale that would appear on the Marketplace. I have heard of too many bad stories and scams associated with it.

I do think you should Paypal, though, and let them know about this. They should be able to figure out who owns the account, as he would have to have a registered PayPal account to accept the funds.

Yep sounds like it was a scam for sure- no way it would have shipped first class. I wasn't sure what happens to peoples profiles when they are in jail as I have never thought to look.

I'm so sorry to hear that
    Only bought one thing on Marketplace (well, two but that was an in-person sale) and used PayPal.

wow - i am so sorry this happened

Melissa R. Addison - Elk Star Ranch - Estes Park Colorado

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ElkStarRanchArtwork Website: http://www.elkstarranch.com

Called around for hours today and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do. I'm out the money. And nobody will give me any info about the seller due to "security purposes." Okay, let's just keep encouraging scammers. Thanks. Only info I got out of anyone is it's a 3oz package. HA! I hate people. I am fuming.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    Called around for hours today and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do. I'm out the money. And nobody will give me any info about the seller due to "security purposes." Okay, let's just keep encouraging scammers. Thanks. Only info I got out of anyone is it's a 3oz package. HA! I hate people. I am fuming.
    That really sucks.
    So, if the guy printed out a 3oz First Class label, it certainly could not have been for your machine. This makes me think that he has done this scam before. He sells an item for $175, then he prints out a crappy $3.50 shipping label, so he can prove he has a tracking number. He never ships the item, and he keeps all of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWatch View Post
    That really sucks.
    So, if the guy printed out a 3oz First Class label, it certainly could not have been for your machine. This makes me think that he has done this scam before. He sells an item for $175, then he prints out a crappy $3.50 shipping label, so he can prove he has a tracking number. He never ships the item, and he keeps all of your money.
    He is VERY good at this. He's obviously done it before, he's got to be a professional scam artist. The ad was 100% legit, no red flags whatsoever. It said he flipped properties and these were left in what used to be a craft store. He had 3 of the same machine (all in the pic in the ad), and they would ship out of Dover, Delaware. That checks out - there was an ACMoore in Dover! So I wasn't concerned at all. He also mentioned in the ad that he is willing to ship and would cover the shipping as he only posted the ad in states surrounding Maryland so shipping wouldn't be too high. Which now makes me wonder what his spin would have been if I wanted to pick it up locally? He was very courteous in his responses and always answered me back the same day even if it took a few hours. I paid, he confirmed receipt and even wished me a happy new year, reiterated that it would ship the next day. The ad was marked sold after I paid, and he had a legit personal Facebook account too, it wasn't an empty account. I am amazed. I don't know how people like this sleep at night. Absolutely deplorable.

I've been keeping my eye on the marketplace to see if any other similar listings pop up that may be him again, but I have a feeling he knows what he's doing and his next ad is going to be something not even remotely close. Like a car part or something. He's not going to hit the same market twice in such a short period of time.

And to think - his ad said he would cut a great deal if you bought all three machines. I was *this close* to buying all three and reselling. I'm unemployed right now and I wanted this machine to make things and sell for some extra cash. I could have resold the other to machines and covered the cost of keeping one for myself. I am SO GLAD I didn't do that!!

I'm glad you didn't buy all three too. I bet if you had said to pick it up there would have been some elaborate plausible story to get you to pay and he'd deliver it or something.

The best scam artists are the ones that seem totally legit so they can fool even cautious buyers.

Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life-
    Confucious
    Victoria Krentz

Wow, this is horrible. I'm so sorry this happened to you LeeAnn!

Ramie Custom Avatar..........Stitch Custom Avatar

GUYS! HE HAS ADS ON CRAIGSLIST!! I'm gathering more info. Where do I go from here now that I've found more ads??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast